Posts Tagged morning herald
Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak’s wife Rosmah Mansor dismissed claims that she spent extravagantly while holidaying in Sydney, Australia recently.
“It’s all rubbish, wildly exaggerated and not true,” Rosmah told Malaysiakini and The Sun when she was approached at MCA’s Chinese new Year open house celebrations in Kuala Lumpur today.
“I’m always the victim,” she said when asked whether the allegations in the ‘Private Sydney’ section of the Australian daily Sydney Morning Herald were true.
“I’ve come across this kind of allegations many times,” she added.
Columnist Andrew Hornery had labelled Rosmah the “first lady of shopping” in the ‘Private Sydney’ section of the newspaper, claiming that she spent A$100,000 (RM325,000) at a Sydney boutique.
Hornery quoted Sydney designer Carl Kapp saying that Rosmah was the latter’s “biggest customer”.
According to the column, Rosmah had made the purchases during a “private holiday” about three weeks ago.
It also stated that, Najib and Rosmah stayed at the five-star Darling Hotel penthouse and paid A$20,000 (RM65,100) per night.
The renowned daily’s lifestyle column also claimed that Rosmah had requested “valet parking for her limo” and was flying Kapp out to Malaysia for fittings of the clothes she ordered.
“(Kapp said) he was being flown to Malaysia next month with a collection of toiles for (Rosmah) Mansor to try on before completing her massive order of 61 dresses, pants and tops.
“Kapp said his new muse had ‘a very good eye for colour and she likes a lot of prints’,” Hornery reported.
However, asked again to clarify if the claims of the expenses were true, Rosmah said: “I have no time to entertain all of this… They just have to do that, (make) accusations.”
She then went on to say that Kapp would release a statement on the issue.
Rosmah’s spending habits have previously been highlighted by the opposition, one being that she had purchased a diamond ring worth RM24 million, which she has vehemently denied, and that she owns several luxury designer handbags.
Meanwhile, NGO Jingga 13 has urged the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to investigate where the funds for Rosmah’s alleged spending came from and how she is able to maintain such a luxurious lifestyle.
–Courtesy of Malaysiakini
SYDNEY, Australia (AFP) – Oscar-winning Hollywood star Cate Blanchett and playwright husband Andrew Upton are to leave their roles as co-artistic directors of Australia's most prestigious theatre company.
The high-profile couple, who are credited with turning around the Sydney Theatre Company's finances during their tenure, will step down at the end of 2013.
“As they announced at the launch of the 2012 season, it was always their intention to only stay for two terms,” STC chairman David Gonski said in a statement on Saturday.
“We asked Cate and Andrew to stay on but we respect their decisions to leave in two years' time to pursue other professional interests.”
The couple took over the reins of the country's largest acting troupe in 2008 and Gonski paid tribute to them.
“As co-artistic directors and CEOs, with inspirational leadership, Andrew and Cate turned around the STC's finances and made it a sustainable business while taking it to new artistic heights,” he said.
“They are a couple not only of extraordinary talents and profile but they have a strong business sense and a strong financial rigour.”
The Sydney Morning Herald said their decision to step aside was due to Blanchett's overseas film commitments and the pressure of being parents to three young children.
Calcutta News.NetTuesday 10th January, 2012 Tweet
Veteran Australian batsman Mike Hussey has predicted that India will try to make a comeback in the Perth Test after losing the Melbourne and Sydney games.He said his side is not thinking of thrashing India 4-0 despite winning the first two Tests.”It’s going to be a tough Test match. India have got some great players, with a lot of experience and a lot of pride, The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Hussey, as saying.”I’m expecting them to bounce back quite hard in this Test match. we haven’t spoken about (a 4-0 series win) at all,” he added.His statement comes after India suffered an innings and 68 run defeat at the Sydney Cricket Ground.Hussey, who scored an unbeaten 150 in Sydney, is looking forward to batting at his home ground, where curator Cameron Sutherland expects a fast and bouncy pitch.”I love the Perth Test match. The crowd here give unbelievable support. The roar you get as a local player when you come out to bat or take a catch is 10 times louder than any other player,” he said.”I know the conditions extremely well as well, so that’s an advantage over other players from around the country and around the world. it is a great place to play cricket. Once you get in on this pitch, it’s fantastic for batting,” he added. (ANI)
SYDNEY: Australia’s cricketers were yesterday damned by the press as the “lowest of the low” after a disastrous loss to new Zealand and branded a team in crisis ahead of a Test series against world number two India.
Michael Clarke’s men handed the Black Caps their first victory on Australian soil in 26 years after a dramatic batting collapse in the second innings in Hobart, described as arguably their most embarrassing defeat in Test history.
“Lowest of the low,” read the headline in Sydney’s Daily Telegraph over a photo of a crestfallen Australian number 11 Nathan Lyon, while the Sydney Morning Herald remarked on the once dominant team’s loss of form.
“once the kings of world cricket, Australia are no longer capable of putting away eighth-ranked new Zealand,” the Herald said.
Commentators rubbished Australia’s batsmen, who gave away a solid lead going into the fourth day to succumb to new Zealand with Clarke and Michael Hussey both out for nought and Ricky Ponting making just 16.
“It’s sad and getting silly,” Robert Craddock wrote in the Telegraph.
“If new chairman of selectors John Inverarity is not brave enough to end Ricky Ponting’s Test career, he should stand down himself.”
All commentators criticised the inability of the batting line-up to finish off the Kiwis, after Australia failed to reach a 241 target despite at one point only requiring 82 runs to win the match with eight wickets in hand.
Test debutant David Warner almost took his side to victory with an unbeaten 123, but he could not stem the rapid fall of wickets, including those of Ponting, Clarke and Hussey who were all removed within 15 balls.
“the top order again failed against the swinging delivery, a fact that will be noted by India as it prepares for the four-Test post-Christmas series,” wrote Peter Lalor in the Australian. — AFP
Return to video Help with videos Streaming media
Websites in the Fairfax Digital Network offer streaming video and audio in the Flash format. Streaming media allows you to watch video on a website as a continuous feed, as opposed to waiting for an entire audio or video file to download to your computer before you can use it.
Download the software
To play a video or multimedia clip, you need to have the Flash player installed. You can download one for most systems (including Mac OS X) for free if one is not already installed on your system.
Our automated system will test your connection speed and send the best video stream so it plays smoothly and continuously.
Alternatively, you can manually choose the speed setting that corresponds most closely with your network connection. we produce clips in a range of speeds to deliver the best quality possible– the better the quality the faster connection you’ll need.
Brisbane is now home to the largest cruise ship based in Queensland, the Sun Princess.
She weighs 77,000 tonnes and is 14 stories high and squeezes under the Gateway Bridge with eight meters to spare, anything bigger would not be able to dock at the Portside Wharf says Cruise-Australia.
Thursday marks the beginning of the five month summer cruise season with many choosing the Princess for sophisticated travel.
The Sun Princess can carry 2890 people; 1990 passengers with 900 crew members, at the same time.
Almost 500,000 Australians took a cruise in the past year; a 27 per cent increase of the previous year said the Sydney Morning Herald.
‘Brisbane is a fantastic northern base for one of our cruise ships and we think Sun Princess will be a great addition to the state’s expanding cruise industry,’ Mr Birge told the Sydney Morning Herald.
She set sail on Wednesday bound for Japan and is a great economic boost for Queensland.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE:
SYDNEY, Oct 7, 2011 (AFP) – - Australian police Friday confirmed they were investigating alleged death threats against Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce, as the airline's passengers faced more disruption due to a strike row.
Qantas revealed this week that Joyce had received a death threat, managers had been sent menacing letters and strike-breaking workers bullied as the carrier attempts to refocus its business towards Asia.
The airline did not detail the threats against Irish-born Joyce but the letter reportedly read: “It's coming soon Paddy. You can't even see it.”
Joyce, who is facing opposition from pilots, engineers and ground staff to his reforms to the iconic Australian airline, also received another death threat after the first was made public, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The paper was unable to quote the threatening email, but said it read along the lines of: “I'm going to get you.”
Qantas would not comment on the threats but New South Wales police said they had established a taskforce to investigate the situation.
“It will examine all circumstances surrounding the allegations,” a police spokesman said.
Unions are locked in protracted contract talks over pay and conditions with Qantas, which has said it will slash 1,000 jobs as part of its new Asia focus.
Thousands of Qantas passengers faced disruption Friday after the airline cancelled some flights and delayed others due to a planned stoppage by baggage handlers and ground staff, which did not go ahead.
The Transport Workers Union (TWU) called off the strike late on Thursday but Qantas said this was too late to stop contingency plans from being implemented and 17 flights were cancelled and 29 delayed, affecting 5,700 travellers.
Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association were to hold a one-hour strike at Melbourne Airport on Friday afternoon but this was only expected to cause minor delays.
Qantas said a further 11,000 passengers would face lengthy delays and 40 cancelled flights on Monday when engineers stage four-hour strikes in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney. eleven international services will be delayed.
Finger tips: the perfect home manicure – Sydney Morning Herald (blog) Sydney Morning Herald (blog) Finger tips: the perfect home manicureSydney Morning Herald (blog)Fiona Hay, who talked us through nail integrity a few weeks ago (it's basically in the cuticles) has some advice for Beauty Beaters on DIY nails from her long experience as a [...]
Those who purchased the DVD South Park: the Complete Fourteenth Season in the U.S. are good to go. but foreign fans of the caustic Comedy Central favorite are discovering to their dismay that the international version of the DVD cuts out episodes #200 and #201.
In that very special two-parter, broadcast originally in April, 2010, Tom Cruise recruits several hundred fellow celebrities to launch a class action lawsuit against… South Park. Episode #201 was partially censored on U.S. airwaves as the result of a threat, after episode #200, issued by New York radical group Revolution Muslim over the inclusion of a Muhammad parody character.
Per a report in the Sydney Morning-Herald, fans in Australia have launched a Facebook protest page aimed at Paramount Home Entertainment. In the week since the DVD was released down under, more than 5,000 likes have been registered.
There are ways around the Australian episode-lite disc, including ordering the DVD through the U.S. and tracking down illicit web-posted streams of the original April 2010 episodes. but it is somewhat bizarre in this case that PHE felt the need to institute a DVD ghost protocol internationally only.
Former prime minister Paul Keating at Barangaroo, a harbour site he has long proposed for redevelopment. Picture: Amos Aikman Source: the Australian
- STATE OF THE NATIONNSW
PAUL Keating likes to tell a story about the vociferous objections raised by the Sydney Morning Herald, almost 60 years ago, to the demolition of a brick tram shed to make way for the Sydney Opera House.
Joe Cahill, Labor premier at the time, had to carefully explain the planned concert hall for Sydney could not feasibly be accommodated by a renewal of the shed but would mean reconstruction from the ground up.
While those outside NSW are likely to roll their eyes at such examples of the NIMBYism of Australia’s largest city, there are contemporary instances of the mindset that go well beyond the city’s limits and could crimp national economic growth. one such, obviously, is a second international airport for Sydney. another is the $6 billion redevelopment of Barangaroo, on the Sydney Harbour foreshore just east of Darling Harbour.
The south end of the 22ha site will be dominated by a high-rise development, including commercial, retail and residential space, along with a 170m hotel jutting out into the harbour. the central precinct, now a cruise ship terminal, will be open, public space, its character yet to be determined.
And now for something completely different: north Barangaroo will feature the first attempt to construct an entire man-made headland, featuring a public park and an indigenous museum.
The point at which Barangaroo intersects with national economic growth is the specific intent of the 280,000sq m of commercial floor space. it is not widely known outside Sydney that Barangaroo is intended as the new financial centre for the city.
With the floorspace designed to hold trading floors, the developers, Lend Lease, expect Barangaroo to soak up 60 per cent of Sydney’s growth in financial services during the next decade.
Has the O’Farrell government gone wobbly on Barangaroo?
It is too early to tell, but that is certainly the question the business community was asking itself this week after NSW Planning Minister Brad Hazzard pushed Lend Lease into mediation with the main group opposing the project, Australians for Sustainable Development, and followed this with the announcement of a "short, sharp review" into Barangaroo.
Australians for Sustainable Development, led by green ban pioneer Jack Mundey, includes the National Trust, several independent Sydney councillors and Leichhardt mayor Jamie Parker, who recently became the state’s first lower house Greens MP. Also active in the group are several wealthy locals whose harbour views will be impeded by Barangaroo. the headland park, which will be given to the people of Sydney by Lend Lease as part of its agreement with the NSW government, has been Keating’s vision for more than a decade. But earlier this month he quit a panel overseeing design for Barangaroo. that was because he believed Hazzard was trying to muzzle him after he had a spray at Sydney lord mayor Clover Moore. Moore, who is also a state MP, was a member of the independent state government authority in charge of Barangaroo, but last year quit herself, claiming the former Labor government was railroading opposition to the project. in the eyes of the project’s supporters, she was simply reverting to form as a politician who for three decades has reaped the whirlwind of anti-development sentiment.
Keating tells Inquirer Barangaroo will become "the driving force in the financial services economy of the city", providing a "hubbing site" that does not exist now. he describes the open spaces of central and north Barangaroo as "a huge civic dividend, but one the city council and National Trust and Jamie Parker don’t seem to want to realise".
At the moment, business is trying to read Hazzard’s mind and decide if he is pandering to Barangaroo’s opponents or simply placating them. one senior figure in the government who is an unashamed proponent of Barangaroo is Treasurer Mike Baird, who has an investment banking background. Baird tells Inquirer that Barangaroo represents an opportunity similar to the new financial district in London that began in the Thatcher years.
"Done well and incorporating community concerns, this is our chance to have the Canary Wharf of the Asia-Pacific," he says.
"in particular, this development would enable us to realise our ambition of becoming a glo-bal financial centre that will attract the best talent, generate employment and promote considerable business and investment opportunities."
<a href="http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/liberals-wobble-over-hub/story-fn59niix-1226059588475tag:news.google.com,2005:cluster=http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/liberals-wobble-over-hub/story-fn59niix-1226059588475Fri, 20 May 2011 14:04:39 GMT 00:00″>Liberals wobble over hub